Taronga Zoo and Taronga Western Plains Zoo have a rich and varied history that dates back to 1884 when the first zoo in New South Wales opened in Sydney on a site known as Billy Goat's Swamp.
Taronga Zoo was officially opened on its current site on October 7th, 1916 but its history dates back to 1884 when the first public Zoo in New South Wales opened on a site known as Billy Goat Swamp.
Taronga Western Plains Zoo was the first open range zoo in Australia. Its animal collection has grown from 35 animals in 1977, when the Zoo first opened, to more than 1,000 animals from five different continents today.
Taronga Zoo, situated on Bradley's Head is home to the Cammeraigal people. Early reports indicate that Bradley's head, the headland Taronga Zoo is situated on, was called ‘Booragy' and was neighboured by other clans.