The Taronga’s Environmental Sustainability program strives to imbed sustainability at the core of Taronga’s activities, to achieve sustainable outcomes and reduce environmental impacts.
The program strives to ensure Taronga leads by example in the key areas of water, energy, waste, fleet management, property management and sustainable purchasing.
Taronga has joined a government program to reduce energy use and as well as buying Green Energy, the Zoo is striving for ways to make its fleet of vehicals more environmentally friendly.
The program is closely aligned with NSW Government Sustainability Policy, which provides a framework for Taronga’s Sustainability Action Plan. The plan will ensure:
- Sustainability is considered in decision making
- Sources of greenhouse emissions are targeted for mitigation
- Efficiency is identified in the areas of energy and water use
- Operational vehicle fleet is rationalised to maximise efficiency
- Waste generation is avoided and minimised while recycling is increased
- Purchasing decisions are made using a model that incorporates sustainability as part of the bottom line
Taronga Green is a 'Take Action' team made up of a diverse range of staffrepresenting all facets of the Zoos. Taronga’s Sustainability Program acknowledges that workplace sustainability is everybody’s responsibility.
Taronga Green has an annual action plan which outlines how the group will assist with the implementation of green projects and intiatives. This helps drive sustainable culture and demonstrates leadership to the rest of the organisation.
Members of the team volunteer their lunch breaks to undertake bush regeneration at Taronga Zoo.