This month you can read our guide on caring responsibly for your own animals at home and do your bit for biodiversity by protecting native wildlife. A dog or cat can be your best friend, but it takes a bit of work, lots of love and some patience.
- Choose a pet that matches your family’s lifestyle
- Feed your pet regularly with good quality food; otherwise a hungry pet will sometimes go hunting
- ‘Do the right thing’ with poo – scoop it up, and bin it or compost it.
- Remember, your pet can harm wildlife so keep your pet inside at night and also keep it on a leash where there is wildlife.
- If you can’t care for your pet find it a new home so it won’t stray and kill wildlife.
- For sick or injured native animals contact a wildlife rescue organisation or Taronga Wildlife Hospital.
Finally, lots of love and good care will keep your pet happy and busy.
Taronga Zoo, Media Relations
(02) 9978 4606
Taronga Western Plains Zoo, Media Relations
(02) 6881 1400
Note: For all other enquiries please see the Contact Us page.