Taronga celebrated its 550 volunteers and their incredible contribution to wild life through behavioural studies, administration, guest services and countless other areas across both our zoos during National Volunteer Week 2012. These astonishing volunteers contributed over 100,000 hours of their time in the past year.
We also took the opportunity to recognise volunteers with our annual Taronga National Volunteer Week Awards which celebrate the achievements of our volunteers who have gone above and beyond in their duties and their commitment to securing a shared future for wildlife and people.
The Zoos are right behind the National Volunteer Week theme "Volunteers - everyone counts. Count me In!", and our organisational values B.A.S.I.C., the theme for Taronga's National Volunteer Week Awards this year is.
It's BASIC - We're thankful we can count on you.
On Wednesday 16th May 2012 in Sydney and Thursday, 17th May 2012 in Dubbo we gave awards to volunteers who;
- Were instrumental in creating enrichments for our animals, including the chimp hammocks seen recently on the ABC’s Wild Life at the zoo
- Help coordinate our education outreach program Zoomobile, which takes our zoo animals out to groups who may have difficulty coming to the zoo
- Work with our keepers, helping with food preparation, cleaning and enrichment activities
- Give out guests a more meaningful experience through helping at the information desk and delivering tours
- And even work on our community conservation campaigns, encouraging our guests to live more sustainably for wildlife
Among many other amazing stories of dedication and positivity. We wish we could have recognised them all!
Taronga Zoo, Media Relations
(02) 9978 4606
Taronga Western Plains Zoo, Media Relations
(02) 6881 1400
Note: For all other enquiries please see the Contact Us page.