Saturday 8th April 2017
Taronga Zoo Top Entrance at 8:30am
Bradleys Head Road Mosman NSW
On our Access Taronga days, guests on the autism spectrum with their family or friends can enjoy early entry to Taronga Zoo Sydney. This is a great opportunity for you to enjoy the peace and quiet of the Zoo before it opens to the general public.
Sky Safari will be open and extra animal meet and greets will be offered. Food and beverage will also be available at the Cafe and the Top Retail store.
Buy Taronga Zoo tickets online and save up to 20% off.
Services for Guests with Autism
Taronga is excited to launch our services for guests with autism on Saturday 8th April 2017.
Taronga offers a range of services designed to enhance your Zoo experience.
Servicse available include:
- Online ticket sales and Zoofriends Memberships
Avoid waiting in the ticket sales queue and purchase your tickets at Taronga.org.au or consider a membership that offers 365 days of fun.
- VIP badge
If you feel you would like our team to provide extra assistance due to autism, we have a special orange VIP badge that guests can wear to alert our team to offer help when needed. On arrival to the Zoo, please visit the Information Desk located in the Top Plaza where you have the choice of a Bilby, Corroboree Frog or Regent Honeyeater bird badge. Please note that a name and email is requested to obtain a VIP badge so that we can inform you of future AccessTaronga days. These badges are provided free of charge.
- Access Taronga days
We welcome guests with autism and their family or friends to join us for our AccessTaronga days. On select days through the year, the Zoo will open 1 hour early (8:30am) to provide exclusive access to the Sky Safari Cable Car and first access to the Zoos many exhibits. Beat the crowds and enjoy a morning at the Zoo. Registration is required through our website (see above) or by calling our Guest Experience team on 02 9969 2777.
- Social Story
Taronga has worked with Autism Spectrum Australia to develop a social story: Click here to download. Social stories are short descriptions of real life situations that help children with autism to understand what they might expect from a visit to the Zoo.
- Tranquil Zones
We have some beautiful picnic venues throughout the Zoo that can provide a tranquil zone for you to relax. Please ask our team for the nearest quite zone or see our accessibility map
- Accessible toilets
We have special access toilets throughout the Zoo for your convenience. These are marked on the Zoo map or please ask our team for directions.
- Stroller and wheelchair hire
If required, we have strollers and wheelchairs available for hire from our Top Entrance retail store.
We understand that our guests have varying needs and are pleased to help accommodate special requests as best we can. Please speak to a member of the Taronga Zoo team.
What we recommend bringing for your family or friend with autism:
• A bracelet or name tag with contact details and anything else we should know if they become separated from your group.
• Ear plugs or headphones. Areas of the Zoo can become crowded and noisy.
• A favourite device or activity. Bring their tablet, video game, book, or anything else you think might distract them and keep them occupied during any periods of waiting. Please note that some items are restricted from entry to the Zoo. Please see point 5 of our terms and conditions found at https://taronga.org.au/taronga-zoo/hours-and-rates/terms-and-conditions-entry.
• Reinforcers for good behaviour. The average visit to the Zoo is 3 hours, so an item to keep them entertained can be helpful. The sights, sounds, smells and movements through the Zoo might become overwhelming, so a sensory toy could be useful.
We look forward to seeing you at the Zoo. Please contact our Guest Experience Team on 02 9969 2777 if you have any further questions about this service.