Taronga is committed to leading by example For the Wild. We prioritise ecological sustainability for the protection of our natural environment and the greater global environment. Taronga is committed to reducing the impact of our zoos operation through a process of continual improvement and integration of our sustainability objectives into everything we do.
Taronga’s 360 approach to conservation ensures we act as a model that inspires and educates our guests and the community to achieve genuine leadership in local and global conservation.
Our sustainability strategy
Taronga’s Sustainability Strategy supports the goals of Taronga’s Strategic Plan 2016-2020. The Strategy outlines Taronga’s primary goal to reduce Taronga’s Carbon Footprint by more than 10% by 2020, and achieve Carbon Neutrality by 2025. This goal is underpinned by the objectives to integrate sustainability into Taronga’s seven business areas and to be recognised as a leader in Sustainability, Conservation & Education.
Engaging our people
It is essential that our people lead by example to ensure our behaviours and practices align with our guest experience, education, community conservation campaigns and research programs. Taronga Green is our sustainability team. Taronga Green is responsible for supporting our people participate in sustainable work practices and promoting sustainability in the workplace. This will help foster a sustainable culture and ensure sustainability embedded into all facets of our business.
Taronga has two Green Teams, one based at Taronga Zoo Sydney and the other at Taronga Western Plains Zoo Dubbo. These teams are made up of a diverse group of employees and volunteers who act as ambassadors for positive environmental and social change.
Their purpose is to care for the environment and engage the wider Taronga community to take action, participate in activities and be a positive change agent.
Taronga Green assist with the implementation and coordination of green initiatives, environmental days, litter clean-ups, the Taronga Mini Green Grants and environmental workshops busy. This helps to foster a sustainable culture and achieve positive environmental outcomes, while connecting and creating meaningful relationships throughout the organization.
Net zero carbon strategy by 2019
Taronga has developed a robust strategy to become carbon neutral by 2019. Originally this goal was set to be achieved by 2025, however Taronga has now recommitted itself to become NCOS certified by 2019. This will be achieved through a combination of:
- reduction in energy consumption
- onsite renewable
- Ecological Sustainable Design (ESD)
- carbon offset credits
- other emission reduction
- waste management
- animal nutrition
Click to expand
Taronga is committed to pursuing a responsible model of environmentally sustainable management for energy, fleet, water, waste, materials & property by:
- Complying with all relevant levels of environmental legislation, standards and other requirements
- Setting objectives and targets in relation to environmental performance and assigning responsibilities and resources to achieve these objectives
- Committing to continual improvement of environmental performance which includes the prevention of pollution and degradation of any kind
- Incorporating sustainable design into new and existing capital works and development programs
- Identifying environmental risks and recording and monitoring environmental impacts
- Ensuring sustainability, including life cycle assessment, is embedded into key decision making and procurement practices
- Understanding our supply chain and implementing initiatives to manage and reduce environmental and social risk associated with the supply of goods & services
- Working with local community and key stakeholders on environmental and social sustainability projects & activities
- Complying with relevant requirement of the NSW Government Resource Efficiency Policy
- Protecting and conserving areas of historic or Indigenous significance