Students can observe birds as they interact with each other and their surroundings at Taronga Western Plains Zoo Dubbo. They will have a chance to meet a wide range of native animals in the workshop, examine their features and identify how they help animals meet all sorts of different needs.
This workshop is available at Taronga Western Plains Zoo Dubbo only. See below for further information.
As detectives, students explore their surroundings. Their focus is to identify the local bird species and discover what they do while you are busy in the classroom. Students will observe how birds use the playground and other areas of the school and determine a course of action to improve the playground to better meet the everyday needs of their feathery friends.
At the Zoo
|Taronga Zoo Sydney||Taronga Western Plains Zoo Dubbo|
|This workshop is not available at Taronga Zoo Sydney||Students can observe the emu and ostrich in their open range exhibits, and will also have the chance to spot guinea fowl, peacock and numerous species of wild birds throughout the Zoo grounds and wetlands. During the workshop they will meet a range of animals, learn about their food, water and shelter needs, and explore bird habitats in the grounds surrounding the Education Centre.|
Early Stage 1
- Ste-1VA shows interest and enthusiasm for science and technology, responding to their curiosity, questions and perceived needs and wants
- Ste-2VA demonstrates a willingness to engage responsibly with local, national and global issues relevant to their lives and to shaping sustainable futures
- Ste-4WS investigates questions and predictions by collecting and recording data, sharing and reflecting on their experiences and comparing what they and others know
- Ste-5WT uses a structured design process, everyday tools, materials, equipment and techniques to produce solutions that respond to identified needs and wants
- ST1-9ES identifies ways that people use science in their daily lives to care for the environment and the Earth’s resources
- ST1-11LW describes ways that different places in the environment provide for the needs of living things
- STe-8NE identifies the basic needs of living things