Scientific inquiry is a tool that learners can use to help understand the world around them. They do this by observing, asking questions, gathering data and formulating explanations.
In this workshop, students will work in teams and use working scientifically and mathematically skills to solve a zoo mystery. They will study the clues, analyse the evidence and apply reasoning to solve the mystery of the animal escapee all while learning about features of livings things.
This workshop is available at Taronga Zoo Sydney only and will be delivered in the Taronga Institute of Science & Learning Teaching Laboratory. See below for further information.
- ST3-1WS-S plans and conducts scientific investigations to answer testable questions, and collects and summarises data to communicate conclusions
- ST3-4LW-S examines how the environment affects the growth, survival and adaptation of living things
- MA3-1WM describes and represents mathematical situations in a variety of ways using mathematical terminology and some conventions
- MA3-2WM selects and applies appropriate problem-solving strategies, including the use of digital technologies, in undertaking investigations
- MA3-3WM gives a valid reason for supporting one possible solution over another
- SC4-6WS follows a sequence of instructions to safely undertake a range of investigation types, collaboratively and individually
- SC4-7WS processes and analyses data from a first-hand investigation and secondary sources to identify trends, patterns and relationships, and draw conclusions
- SC4-8WS selects and uses appropriate strategies, understanding and skills to produce creative and plausible solutions to identified problems
- SC4-9WS presents science ideas, findings and information to a given audience using appropriate scientific language, text types and representations
- SC4-14-LW relates the structure and function of living things to their classification, survival and reproduction
- MA4-1WM communicates and connects mathematical ideas using appropriate terminology, diagrams and symbols
- MA4-2WM applies appropriate mathematical techniques to solve problems
- MA4-3WM recognises and explains mathematical relationships using reasoning