Stage 6 Geography: Tourism – An Economic Activity
This program is a partnership between Observatory Hill EEC and Taronga Zoo Sydney Education Centre and focuses on the Stage 6 Geography topic ‘People and Economic Activity‘. It involves:
- An Introductory Presentation at the Taronga Zoo Sydney Education Centre on the global tourism industry, including an explanation of the factors which explain the location, spatial patterns and future directions of the tourism industry.
- A case study of Taronga Zoo Sydney as an example of an Economic Enterprise within the Tourism Industry. Taronga Zoo Educators will provide information on the nature of the Zoo as an economic enterprise, ecological dimensions (including impacts on the environment and ecological sustainability), linkages and flows of people, goods, services and ideas, and the effects of global changes on the Zoo’s operations.
- 3. A guided ‘behind the scenes’ tour of Taronga Zoo Sydney to observe aspects of the Zoo’s operations, particularly its initiatives to reduce ecological impacts and various aspects of the Zoo’s tourism infrastructure like, food and beverage outlets, accommodation, and the Function Centre.
- Students will have free time at the end of the program to view the Taronga Zoo Sydney exhibits.
The program will run on the following dates:
- Term 1 – 21st Feb and 21st March
- Term 2 – 25th May and 27th June
- Term 3 – 31st July and 19th Sept
- Term 4 – 28th November
For more information, including pre and post visit activities, go to http://observatoryhilleec.nsw.edu.au/secondary-programs/tourism/
To book, please email either: