Blackmores Sydney Running Festival is the only competitive run in Sydney which crosses the Harbour – but how many Sydney-siders would say they really know what is happening in their neighbourhood water ecosystem?
Australians have a special connection with the ocean, from surf beaches and rocky shores to spectacular coral reefs. Over a million different species share our oceans but our own security, economy and survival are at risk when oceans aren’t healthy. A third of all marine turtles are estimated to have eaten plastic. At Taronga’s Wildlife Hospital, we’ve seen over 350 marine turtles brought in since 1984, many with plastic related illness when they mistake plastic bags for jellyfish.
Join Team Taronga in BSRF on Sunday 17th September and help protect the ancient Marine Turtle. Turtles need our help to raise awareness about plastic - in Australia alone we use more than 10 million single-use bags every day. Across a year, 100 million of these bags end up in our waste stream.
If you’re running in BSRF this year, you can make a real difference for Marine Turtles and our Harbour’s marine health by joining Team Taronga and fundraising for the wild.
By joining Team Taronga, you’ll also receive some exclusive benefits:
- Turtle fundraising pack with information to get you started
- Team Taronga shirt and cap for first $50 raised
- Raise over $250 to receive a family pass to Taronga Zoo
- Raise over $500 to receive a plush turtle
- Raise over $1,000 to receive an exclusive Behind-the-Scenes Animal Experience, including day entry to Taronga Zoo for up to 8 people.
1. Register for the BSRF choose the run you would like to compete in and either enter as an indivdual or create a team with friends and work colleagues.
2. Create your own fundraising page for Team Taronga and help to keep the Harbour healthy!