Jump to navigation
Pygmy Hippo Calf Facts
- With less than 3,000 Pygmy Hippos in the wild this is an incredible milestone for the zoo.
- She weighed about 5kg when she was born and is now the size of a piglet.
- She is confident enough to duck dive under the water and flicks her ears just like mum.
- The calfs mum Kambiri is affectionate, gentle and encouraging, constantly vocalising to communicate to her baby when it’s time to eat and swim.
- The calf sticks quite close to mum but it is very inquisitive and becoming more confident and starting to explore on her own.
- Pygmy Hippo’s usually stay with their mothers for around 2 years before heading off on their own into adult life.
Pygmy Hippo Calf Photos