Taronga Zoo Wild Squad
At Wild Squad HQ, It's Mini Beast Mania!
Hi Wild Squad Agents... We are putting a lens on the world of Arthropod Awesomeness! The magnificently miniscule world of the mini beast is out-of-this-world with 75% of all animals being insects! Come and check out our INSECT-A-PORIUM at Backyard to Bush and zoom in on some of the coolest creepy crawlies that we share our lives with and the important role they play without us even knowing.
Did you know?
There are over 20,000 known bee species pollinating our world, with over 1600 species of native bees existing right here in Australia. The honeybee is not only the most amazing creature in the insect world, it also happens to be the hardest working creature in the animal kingdom! And most of that hard work we as humans benefit from!
WILD SQUAD ADVENTURES @ THE CENTENARY THEATRE
Map ref. 12J at Taronga Zoo
You'll love it because:
- It shows every 15 minutes
- You'll get to see an amazing 270 degree screen that wraps around you
- With over 80 visual effects (VFX) shots, "Wild Squad Adventures" boasts more VFX than Jurassic Park! Cool, huh?
- The movie is FREE with Zoo entry
Just a cool click away...
This April the Zoo needs Wild Squad agents like YOU! Can you BEE SMART? BEE KIND? BEE WISE? Getting started on your in-zoo missions is as simple as downloading the Taronga App and going to the WILD SQUAD page.
Mission Biome: Australia
Accept this mission and you will get the buzz about bees being super heroes of the animal kingdom.
Mission Biome: Africa
Accept this mission and you will get the inside story of how Chimps Chat!
Mission Biome: Forests of the Wild
Accept this mission and you will be in on the action to help protect the world's forests.
Mission Biome: Forests of Asia
Accept this mission and you will take the lead to guide an elephant herd along their ancient migration trail.
Mission Biome: Taronga for the Wild
Accept this mission and you will watch the Zoo Movie and see Wild Squad HQ in action, protecting animals in the wild.
Mission Biome: Tiger Trek
Trek through the forests of Way Kambas National Park in search of Sumatran Tigers.
We want you to be in on the lingo too. Ramp up your vocab with these WILD SQUAD buzz words to add to your WILD SQUAD-TIONARY. Build on this list every month so you will be a conservation scientist extraordinaire before you know it...
- ARTHROPOD: Any invertebrate of the phylum Arthropoda, having a segmented body, jointed limbs, and usually a chitinous shell that undergoes moltings, including the insects, spiders and other arachnids, crustaceans, and myriapods.
- ANTENNAE: One of the jointed, movable, sensory appendages occurringin pairs on the heads of insects and most other arthropods.
- ARACHNID: Any wingless, carnivorous arthropod of the class Arachnida, including spiders, scorpions, mites, ticks, and daddy-longlegs, having a body divided into two parts and having eight appendages and no antennae.
- ENTOMOLOGY: The branch of Zoology that investigates insects
- OMMATIDIA: The single elements (lenses) of an insects compound eye. A Dragon Fly has about 30,000 ommatidia on each eye!