Applications Close: Sunday, July 28, 2019 - 23:59
Casual Zoo Keeper, Taronga Western Plains Zoo
Casual Zoo Keeper, Taronga Western Plains Zoo
- Iconic multi-award winning Tourist Attraction located in Dubbo, NSW.
- Casual Trainee Zoo Keeper Positions available
- Taronga Conservation Society Australia Salaried Employees Award - Trainee Keeper Level 1 ($24.81 per hour, inclusive of casual loading)
- Located at Taronga Western Plains Zoo, Dubbo
Looking to secure a shared future for wildlife and people? Want to pursue a career in Zoo Keeping?
Taronga is looking for experienced, driven and motivated Casual Trainee Zoo Keepers to join a leading organisation in conservation, education, animal management and transformational guest experiences.
There are multiple casual positions within all divisions at Taronga Western Plains Zoo, Dubbo.
- Division 1 – This includes hoof stock such as addax, White Rhino, Giraffe and many other species of antelope.
- Division 2 – This includes a diverse range of species from Australian natives, primates and Lions and Tigers.
- Division 3 – This includes the Black Rhino, Cheetah, African Wild Dog, Galapagos Tortoise & OSC Otter breeding programs. There is a strong focus on team work, flexibility, animal observation and welfare
- Division 4 – This includes the Asian Elephant Herd.
Taronga Zoo officially opened in October 1916, with Taronga Western Plains Zoo officially opening in February 1977! We believe in a shared future for Wildlife and People. Taronga is working in partnership with wildlife conservation organizations and communities to develop ways to protect species and habitats. Taronga. For the Wild!
Our employees enjoy generous employment conditions including:
- Complimentary family and friends passes
- A wide range of discounts on our award winning accommodation
- Discounted food and beverage purchases across the site
- Reduced rates for other services including animal encounters
- To discover more about the benefits of working at Taronga, please visit our website .
We value diversity…
Taronga is an equal opportunity employer, where we recognise the diversity of our workforce and community – be it on the basis of gender, age, culture, religion, language or personal circumstances.
Taronga is also committed to building on the perspectives, experience, knowledge and skills that this diversity brings to our organisation.
Taronga provide specific workplace programs to support diversity and equal employment opportunities for women, people with a disability and people identifying as Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander.
About the role…
The successful individual will deliver high quality animal husbandry and management practices for the Taronga animal population and convey environmental and conservation messages to provide inspiring and educational messages to our visitors.
- Work under the supervision of others to safely provide high quality animal husbandry and management techniques in line with Taronga policies and procedures to assist Taronga in meeting WHS and animal care and welfare targets and in complying with all relevant legislation.
- Comply with Taronga's Animal Welfare Charter to ensure industry leading standards of animal welfare are maintained and animals in our care are assured of Taronga's 5 Freedoms.
- Communicate Taronga's education and conservation messages both internally and externally, ensuring all communications align with Taronga's values to inspire behavioural change in accordance with Taronga's vision and strategic pillars.
- Deliver high quality customer services experiences in order to provide excellent guest experience and promote repeat visitation.
- Work effectively as a member of a high performing team including peers, volunteers and students to assist Taronga in its achievement of strategic outcomes.
- Comply with sustainability practices in the workplace to help achieve Taronga's sustainability targets and reduce environmental impact.
We are looking for candidates that have:
- NSW C Class Drivers Licence (or ability to transfer current unrestricted licence)
- TB Screening
- Vaccinations against Zoonotic disease (in accordance with Taronga's Zoonotic disease vaccination matrix)
- 0 – 4 years of paid animal husbandry related experience
- Obtain and maintain a current paid NSW Working with Children Check at own expense.
- Demonstrated ability to work within a team, proven experience providing high quality care for animals, have effective communication and strong presentation skills.
- Work experience (this may include volunteer work) with animals in a commercial or not for profit operation, be available across weekdays and weekend shifts as well as public and school holiday periods, and have worked in a role responsible for working with customers and/or members of the public.
We value your safety, and the privacy of your information. Please only apply for this position via This is the only legitimate website to apply via, and the only website whereby applications will be accepted.
Please submit your resume and a cover letter of one page. You are also required to complete the two target questions as part of your application.
- Outline your experience in working with animals in a captive environment.
- Outline your reasons for wanting to work at Taronga Zoo Western Plains? Describe the attributes you bring to working as part of a team to achieve strategic outcomes for Taronga.
Applications must be completed via firstname.lastname@example.org using the reference number 000074CN or searching the word Taronga. For more information in relation to the vacant position please contact Jo Fitzgerald, HR Officer at
To review a copy of the role description & FAQs, please visit the careers page of the Taronga website
If you are experiencing technical difficulties in applying, please contact “I work for NSW” support team on 1800 562 679 or email@example.com
Applications close: Midnight 28th July 2019. No late applications will be accepted.