Applications Close: Sunday, May 26, 2019 - 23:59
- Ongoing Full Time position
- Gardener Grade 1 under the Taronga Conservaiton Society Australia Salaried Employees Award
- Located at Taronga Zoo, Mosman
Looking to secure a shared future for wildlife and people?
Taronga is looking for an experienced, driven and motivated Gardener who is interested in joining a leading organisation in conservation, education, animal management and transformational guest experiences.
Taronga Zoo officially opened in October 1916, with Taronga Western Plains Zoo officially opening in February 1977! We believe in a shared future for Wildlife and People. Taronga is working in partnership with wildlife conservation organizations and communities to develop ways to protect species and habitats. Taronga. For the Wild!
Our employees enjoy generous employment conditions including:
- Complimentary family and friends passes
- A wide range of discounts on our award winning accommodation
- Discounted food and beverage purchases across the site
- Reduced rates for other services including animal encounters
- To discover more about the benefits of working at Taronga, please visit our website here.
We value diversity…
Taronga is an equal opportunity employer, where we recognise the diversity of our workforce and community – be it on the basis of gender, age, culture, religion, language or personal circumstances.
Taronga is also committed to building on the perspectives, experience, knowledge and skills that this diversity brings to our organisation.
Taronga provide specific workplace programs to support diversity and equal employment opportunities for women, people with a disability and people identifying as Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander.
About the role…
The successful individual will join the specialist team who cut and deliver high quality browse to animal species at Taronga Zoo. In addition to this the role also assist with general gardening services and grounds maintenance including maintaining the current flora displays, weeding, mowing lawns and trimming hedges.
- Cut and deliver high quality browse for several Zoo animal species. In supporting this accountability you will undertake effective communication with fellow browse, Horticulture and wider Zoo stakeholders.
- Undertake a variety of landscaping projects within grounds and exhibits.
- Undertake general gardening activities as assigned, including the maintenance of allocated grounds, gardens and exhibits.
- Carries out general grounds maintenance including: maintaining current flora displays, weeding, mowing lawns and trimming hedges.
- Perform basic tasks associated with horticulture and gardening works under supervision from the Horticulture Team.
- Work effectively as a member of a high performing team, to assist Taronga in its achievement of strategic outcomes.
- Comply with Taronga’s Customer Service Charter and suggest initiatives for further improvement to ensure industry leading standards are maintained.
- Comply with and suggest sustainability practices in the workplace to help achieve Taronga’s sustainability targets and reduce environmental impact.
- Comply with and report any Work, Health and Safety incidents in line with Taronga’s Work, Health and Safety Charter.
We are looking for candidates that have:
- Previous gardening and grounds maintenance experience.
- Current NSW Drivers License or ability to have existing license formally recognized, including manual.
- Vaccinations against Zoonostic diseases (in accordance with Taronga’s Zoonostic disease vaccination matrix) at your own expense.
- Obtain and maintain a current paid NSW Working with Children Check at own expense.
We value your safety, and the privacy of your information. Please only apply for this position via http://www.iworkfor.nsw.gov.au/. This is the only legitimate website to apply via, and the only website whereby applications will be accepted.
Please submit your resume and a cover letter of one page. You are also required to complete the two target questions as part of your application.
- Detail your most relevant Horticulture experience in delivering great Horticulture to high expectations. One-page maximum.
- Detail when you have worked a part of a horticultural team to achieve an important target. One-page maximum.
To review a copy of the role description, please visit the careers page of the Taronga website http://www.taronga.org.au
Applications close: Midnight Sunday 26 May 2019