Taronga Conservation Society Australia (collectively referred to as "we", "us" and TCSA) is subject to the NSW Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act (1988).
TCSA takes your privacy seriously, and we safeguard your personal information. This Privacy Statement explains in general terms how we protect the privacy of your personal information under the Australian Privacy Principles. It will apply to any personal information you provide to us:
- when purchasing a ticket or membership:
- when making a booking;
- when making a donation or sponsoring an animal; ·
- when registering your details for a survey, competition, petition or any other purpose;
- when accepting or declining an event invitation;
- when making a shop purchase;
Via taronga.org.au, tarongafoundation.com.au, roarandsnore.com.au, zoofari.com.au or other online sites operated by TCSA and its contractors; and under any other agreement or arrangement.
This Privacy Statement will also apply to any information about you that is provided to us by a third party.
This Privacy Statement does not apply to employee records.
2. Collection of personal information
The types of personal information that we collect from you will depend on the circumstances of collection and on the type of service you request from us.
TCSA may collect personal information from you when you deal with us over the telephone, send us correspondence (whether by letter, fax or email), visit our websites or when you have contact with us in person. As well as collecting personal information directly from you, there may be occasions when we collect information about you from a third party. For example, from a person or organisation who are making a donation, purchase or booking on your behalf.
Personal information collected may include where appropriate your name, birth date, home address, other address, telephone numbers, fax numbers, email address, credit/debit card number and expiry date, membership details and dietary requirements (if any).
In addition, when you visit any of our websites, the following information is recorded by us for statistical purposes:
- a record of your IP address;
- the date, time and length of your visit to the site;
- any purchases, donations, bookings or registrations completed during your visit;
- the pages accessed and documents downloaded;
- the version of your operating system and web browser; and
- the referring site if you followed a link to get here.
No attempts are made to identify anyone browsing our site. The data is captured so that we can accurately evaluate the quality of the content on the website and make continuous improvements.
The only time our website is able to identify you is if you have signed in as a registered user and agreed to provide your details. In this case, our website maintains a register of your user details in order to make your return visits to the site (and access to information relevant to your association with us) easier for you.
3. Website and cookies
The TCSA website uses "cookies", which are text files placed on your computer, to improve the user experience in the future. The typical purpose of Cookies is to help websites remember particular actions you may have done in the past - for example, cookies may track when you have logged into a site, visited certain pages or clicked certain buttons.
- Remember when you have logged into our website
- Remember your user preferences, searches and favourites
- Track the success of our marketing campaigns.
- Track your usage of a site, via Google Analytics©
- Target more relevant advertisements to you
- Enable social media sharing (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube)
- Ensure better service delivery
Despite this, if you do wish to disable or remove cookies, please see the “Help” section of your browser or mobile device. Each browser or device handles the management of cookies differently, so you will need to refer to your appropriate “Help” documentation. However, as mentioned, cookies are essential for certain features of our website to work properly.
You can view a full list of all cookies used by the TCSA websites below:
Website usage and e-commerce
4. Use of personal information
TCSA may use your personal information for the following purposes:
- to process your purchase, booking, donation and other transactions;
- to send tax receipts;
- to facilitate your participation in TCSA sponsorship and membership programs;
- to conduct marketing activities and to conduct market research;
- to respond to customer enquries or complaints;
- to raise funds for conservation programs undertaken and supported by the TCSA.
Some of the personal information we collect is essential for us to be able to accurately identify who is using the products and services. Other types of personal information is collected to help us to profile who is using our products and services and what their interest are in order to improve customer service through research, marketing, product development and planning.
5. Zoo Friends membership program
Additional information is collected by us when you join the Zoo Friends membership program. This includes information such as your name and date of birth and the name and date of birth of any additional members, home address, other addresses, email address, telephone numbers, fax number, credit card details as well as any special interests and preferences.
TCSA also keep a record of Zoo Friends use of membership services and benefits. This information includes date and time of visit, purchases, events attended and benefits redeemed. The collection of this information assists TCSA to monitor the use of, and improve, the Zoo Friends membership program and benefits.
Information on our Zoo Friends databases is used for additional purposes which members consent to as part of the terms and conditions of membership. This includes TCSA marketing its products and services or the products and services of its partners. Other purposes include improving its customer service by means of research, product development and planning.
Some of the information is deemed mandatory for participation in the ZooFriends membership program. Members are advised that if all or any of the non-mandatory information is not provided, the services provided by TCSA may be affected.
Zoo Friends members can update their profile information at any time by contacting the Zoo Friends membership office on 9968 2822.
6. Disclosure and sharing of personal information
TCSA may at times disclose your personal information to a third party, to whom we contract out certain services. For example, we engaged third party suppliers to:
- provide email and mail handling services;
- provide electronic funds transfer services, credit card account processing and related services;
- conduct market research;
- provide catering services;
- provide information technology services such as data storage and processing, software, system development and maintenance.
In these situations TCSA prohibits the third party contractor from using your personal information except for the specific purpose for which we supply it.
Under no circumstances will TCSA sell or receive payment for licensing or disclosing your personal information.
Notwithstanding the above, TCSA will share information with third parties if:
- we need to share personal information in order to provide the product or service requested;
- we are legally obliged to do so; or,
- we are otherwise required or committed by the Privacy Act 1988.
7. Access and alteration to personal information
TCSA facilitates individuals to access their personal information in the following manner:
- the request must be in writing;
- we will endeavour to respond in writing to requests for access within twenty eight (28) days of the receipt of the request at the offices of TCSA; and
- TCSA may impose a charge on providing access to the personal information depending on the nature of the request.
If a person wishes to alter personal information held by TCSA, they should advise us in writing of the required changes. TCSA will endeavour to make the changes requested within twenty eight (28) days of the receipt of the changes at the offices of TCSA, provided that we are satisfied that the changes are accurate, complete and up to date. TCSA will not confirm the changes are made unless specifically requested to do so.
8. Opting out of marketing, promotions or related activities
You can change the type and frequency of information you receive from us by calling 1300 369 116. However if you do not wish to receive any more emails from Taronga, you can opt-out by clicking the unsubscribe button in our emails or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
9. Changes to this Privacy Statement
The TCSA Privacy Statement may change from time to time due to legal or business requirements. Any changes to this Privacy Statement will be updated on taronga.org.au.
This statement was last updated in March 2014.
In the event that a person considers that TCSA has breached the policy on privacy, they should provide details of the circumstances in writing to TCSA. TCSA will endeavour to respond to such a complaint within twenty eight (28) days of its receipt at the offices of TCSA.
11. Contact Details
If you require further information about TCSA's Privacy Internet Policy or wish to comment on the policy, the contact details for TCSA are as follows:
Taronga Conservation Society Australia, PO Box 20, Mosman, NSW 2088
+61 (0)2 9969 2777