Following advice from NSW Health, please click here to read more about how we're keeping you safe and how you can help us.
Please bring a face mask with you (this includes parents or guardians dropping off children). Mask-wearing is now mandatory for anyone 12 years and over in any of our indoor spaces.
About the program
Do you want a career working with animals when you’re older? Do you love animals and conservation but you’re not sure where to start? Cadet Keepers is what you are looking for!
Designed especially for young adults aged 12 - 17 years old, Cadet Keepers is a hands-on program designed for those who aspire for a future working with flora and fauna, or wish to be employed in an industry that contributes to the protection of the natural world.
Our experienced and dedicated staff will guide participants through the daily routines and responsibilities of a Taronga Keeper, meeting some of the animals in our care and learning about how to help secure a future for them.
What to bring
We will provide participants with their own t-shirt but they will need to bring a packed lunch and refillable water bottle for the day.
You will also need to ensure that your Cadet Keeper has practical clothes, closed toe shoes and weather appropriate items e.g. hat, sunglasses, rain jacket etc.
Keeper for a Day is an all-weather experience so please come prepared for any inclement weather.
Taronga reserves the right to cancel the Keeper for a Day Program at any time due to unforeseen circumstances such as natural disasters or in the event of severe weather. In the unlikely chance that this situation should occur, Taronga will contact you prior to your participation date.
Cadet Keepers runs from 9.30am to 3.00pm on the below available dates:
Please note that availability is manually updated Monday - Fridays.
|Saturday 1 May 2021||Fully booked!|
|Saturday 29 May 2021||Fully booked!|
|Saturday 12 June 2021||Fully booked!|
|Tuesday 29 June 2021||Fully booked!|
|Thursday 8 July 2021||2 spaces available!|
|Saturday 24 July 2021||4 spaces available!|
|Saturday 21 August 2021||Available|
|Saturday 11 September 2021||Available|
|Tuesday 21 September 2021||Available|
Please ensure you read and understand the conditions prior to booking. For more information please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Cadet Keepers Program:
- Requires a moderate level of fitness and good mobility
- Is for children aged between 12 to 17 years of age
- Is an all-weather experience and will ordinarily proceed in the event of inclement weather
- May include entering an environment housing animals which involves a degree of unpredictability and therefore risk of injury occurring
- Is at my own risk and without any liability attached to the Taronga Conservation Society Australia, including any injury to the child/children or damage to their property
- Requires the child/children to take direction from Keeper for a Day Hosts regarding photographs and video taken on any device, and understand that some photos may be restricted from social media platforms
- Requires the child/children to take direction from Keeper for a Day Hosts to comply with Taronga’s COVID-19 Safety Plan
- Must not be attended by a child/children if they feel unwell or have flu like symptoms (e.g. fever, cough, sore/scratchy throat, shortness of breath) and acknowledge that they will be excluded from the program and Taronga Zoo if they attend when unwell or with flu like symptoms
- Bookings are non-refundable but can be rescheduled or transferred in exceptional circumstances and at the discretion of Taronga
- Program activities and schedules are subject to change without notice
- Taronga reserves the right to cancel the Cadet Keepers Program at any time due to unforeseen circumstances such as natural disasters or in the event of severe weather. In the unlikely event that this situation occurs, Taronga will contact me as soon as practicable to notify me and reschedule my booking
- Taronga cannot guarantee a nut-free environment (please contact us for further information)