After careful deliberation and with consideration to the current situation regarding COVID-19, we have had to come to the decision to postpone our Junior Keepers program.
We apologise for any inconvenience and disappointment this may cause. However the safety and well-being of our guests, staff, and animals is always our highest priority. Please be assured Taronga is continuing to closely monitor the situation and we will keep you informed as to when bookings will resume again.
About the program
Junior Keepers is a specially designed hands-on day for children aged 8 - 11 years old who are keen to work with animals or in the conservation field when they grow up.
Guided by our team of experienced and dedicated staff, small groups of up to 15 participants will learn the daily routines and responsibilities of a Taronga Keeper. Through a range of interactive activities and special behind the scenes visits, Junior Keeper participants will have up close encounters with some of Taronga’s Australian Native animals and learn how to care for and protect them into the future.
What to bring
We will provide participants with their own t-shirt but they will need to bring a packed lunch and refillable water bottle for the day.
You will also need to ensure that your Junior Keeper has clothes that you won't mind them getting dirty, closed toe shoes and weather appropriate items e.g. hat, sunglasses, rain jacket etc.
There are currently no available dates.
We apologise for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding and patience during this time.
The Junior Keepers Program:
- requires a moderate level of fitness and good mobility;
- is for children aged between eight to 11 years of age;
- is an all-weather experience and will ordinarily proceed in the event of inclement weather;
- may include entering an environment housing animals which involves a degree of unpredictability and therefore risk of injury occurring;
- is at my own risk and without any liability attached to the Taronga Conservation Society Australia, including any injury to the child/children or damage to their property;
- requires the child/children to take direction from Keeper for a Day Hosts regarding photographs and video taken on any device, and understand that some photos may be restricted from social media platforms;
- requires the child/children to take direction from Keeper for a Day Hosts to comply with Taronga’s COVID-19 Safety Plan;
- must not be attended by a child/children if they feel unwell or have flu like symptoms (e.g. fever, cough, sore/scratchy throat, shortness of breath) and acknowledge that they will be excluded from the program and Taronga Zoo if they attend when unwell or with flu like symptoms;
- bookings are non-refundable but can be rescheduled or transferred in exceptional circumstances and at the discretion of Taronga;
- program activities and schedules are subject to change without notice;
- Taronga reserves the right to cancel the Junior Keepers Program at any time due to unforeseen circumstances such as natural disasters or in the event of severe weather. In the unlikely event that this situation occurs, Taronga will contact me as soon as practicable to notify me and reschedule my booking;
- Taronga cannot guarantee a nut-free environment (please contact us for further information);