What is Access Taronga?
On select days throughout the year, Taronga welcomes Autistic guests, and guests with Hidden Disabilities, and their family or friends to enjoy early entry to our Zoo in Sydney. Access Taronga days are a great opportunity for you to enjoy the peace and quiet of the Zoo before it opens to the general public.
On Access Taronga days, Taronga Zoo Sydney will open 1 hour early (From 8.30am) to provide exclusive access to a private animal show and first access to the Zoo's many exhibits. Please see the term and conditions for this Access Taronga event.
Please note our 2023 Access Taronga Early Bird Entry dates. Please note these dates and events are subject to change and will require registration closer to the date.
You can sign up for more information on tickets by clicking on the REGISTER YOUR INTEREST button on this page so that we might advise you of further steps to attend.
Note - this form is to express your interest in more receiving news and is not a booking or ticket.
Released later in 2023:
- Saturday 16th September 8am - 9.30am Early Entry with Seal Show
What to bring
We suggest that guests bring along some of the following items to help make their day more manageable.
- Your Sunflower Lanyard, or ask us if you need one while you are here.
- A bracelet or name tag with contact details and anything else we should know if they become separated from your group
- Ear plugs or noise cancelling headphones. Areas of the Zoo can become crowded and noisy.
- Dress and pack for the weather. It can get windy, hot and rain at the zoo – you can check the days forecast here.
- Plan to pack your own favourite foods as our food an beverage outlets may not have all that you need or like, or may not be able to cater to every dietary need.
- A favourite device or activity. Bring their tablet, fidget game, book, or sensory toy you think might help you during any periods of waiting. Please note that some items are restricted from entry to the Zoo. Please see point 5 of our Terms and Conditions of Entry.
Terms & Conditions
- Early entry on Access Taronga is Free of Charge and guests may stay in the zoo all day after they enter.
- Early Entry Access Taronga is 8.30am - 9.30am and tickets holding guests must enter in this timeslot.
- Guests that arrive after 9.30am may not use their Access Taronga ticket at any other time to enter the zoo or on any other date that prescribed. Guests that arrive in general admission hours (after 9.30am) must buy a full paying ticket.
- This ticket may not be sold for cash and cannot be redeemed for cash.
Autism and Hidden Disability Services
Below are some of the services you can expect to be available for you on your visit to Taronga Zoo Sydney:
- Many of our staff and volunteers are trained in the Sunflower Lanyard Scheme. You can ask for help form any staff and if a trained staff member is preferred you may ask without fear of offense.
- Online ticket sales and Zoo Friends Annual Memberships: Avoid waiting in the ticket sales queue and purchase your tickets online or consider a membership that offers 365 days of fun
- Visual Story: Taronga has worked with Autism Spectrum Australia to develop a visual story. Social stories are short descriptions of real life situations that help guests with additional preparation needs to understand what they might expect from a visit to the Zoo and how to best enjoy their day. Download and read the latest Visual Story
- Tranquil Zones: We have some beautiful picnic venues throughout the Zoo that can provide a tranquil zone for you to relax. Please ask our team for the nearest quite zone or see our accessibility map
- Accessible toilets: We have special access toilets throughout the Zoo for your convenience. These are marked on the Zoo map or please ask our team for directions
- • Stroller and wheelchair hire: If required, we have strollers and wheelchairs available for hire from our Top Entrance retail store
We understand that our guests have varying needs and are more than happy to help accommodate special requests as best we can. Please speak to a member of the Taronga Zoo team if you require any additional assistance.