The Taronga Teachers Association is committed to supporting and assisting teachers to become more effective environmental educators. TTA offers quality professional development and learning opportunities to teachers that will positively impact on their teaching and learning.
The TTA runs exclusive workshops, behind the scenes tours, guest lectures and animal encounters as free-to-attend events throughout the year for its members, all with a view to inspire and empower teachers.
Teachers can enjoy unlimited Zoo entry at Taronga Zoo Sydney, Taronga Western Plains Zoo Dubbo with their annual TTA membership, as well as the following benefits:
- Free admission for 12 months to Adelaide, Melbourne, and Perth Zoos
- 15% discount in all Taronga Zoo Shops
- 10% discount at Roar and Snore at Taronga Zoo Sydney on select days
- Regular updates from the Taronga Education e-newsletter, including new syllabus, relevant workshops and professional learning opportunities
- Member exclusive events
- Discounted memberships for family members
- Exclusive pre-sale opportunities and ticket discounts for our best events including Taronga’s New Year’s Eve party and the Twilight at Taronga concert series
- Regular education updates
How to join
Looking to become a member of the Taronga Teachers Association? Memberships are created in-person at Taronga Zoo Sydney, read the steps below to make sure you're prepared for your visit before signing up to a year's worth of exclusive benefits!
Before coming to the Zoo:
- Ensure you have your NESA teaching Card or a recent pay slip to bring with you
This is used as your proof of teaching and is a compulsory requirement for the sign-up process
At the Zoo:
- Visit the Zoo Friends office located just outside the Main Entrance of Taronga Zoo Sydney
- Here you can request to sign up as a Taronga Teachers Association member, alternatively you can also renew in person following this same process
- Provide your proof of teaching and membership details
- Your photo will be taken to identify you for future visits
- Be sure to bring your card with you whenever you come and visit the Zoo (including in Adelaide, Melbourne and Perth)
Curriculum Critical Friend
The TTA is seeking curriculum expertise and advice on the programs and workshops that Taronga offers. The Education Team proudly provides workshops and programs to schools that are strongly linked to syllabus outcomes, that is supported by current conservation research and enhanced by animal encounters.
As a TTA Critical Curriculum Friend you would play a critical role in connecting your classroom curriculum with the Zoo.
When completing the application form, you will select your preferred stage and subject that you believe you could offer meaningful and valuable feedback to.
After this, you will be periodically sent lesson plans to review and provide feedback. There is no set time period to return your feedback and we always like to reward our members who offers support to the Zoo.
If you are interested in becoming a TTA Critical Curriculum Friend, please complete the application form.