Posted on 27th March 2019 by Media Relations
An illumined trail of giant animal lanterns is yours to discover at Taronga Zoo Sydney’s Lights for the Wild 2019 backed by American Express next month. The Zoo lights up once again as a Vivid Sydney favourite, the largest festival of light, music and ideas in the Southern Hemisphere. Tickets are available today at taronga.org.au/vivid.
Along with festival favourites from previous year, Vivid Sydney at Taronga Zoo’s Lights for the Wild 2019 will surprise and delight guests, and introduce stunning new animal light sculptures.
New light sculptures for 2019 include three gorgeous and playful Sumatran Tiger cubs to celebrate the birth of Kartika’s three new cubs, a pride of Lions in anticipation of our new African Savannah precinct which opens later this year, and a Koala amongst three separate laser gardens. Guests will also be greeted by an immersive multimedia lightshow projection-mapped on Taronga’s Heritage-listed archway, showcasing Taronga’s 10 legacy species.
Created by Ample Projects, the collection of multimedia light sculptures is among the largest and most technologically advanced lanterns ever featured at Taronga Zoo for Vivid Sydney.
Destination NSW Chief Executive Officer and Executive Producer-Vivid Sydney, Sandra Chipchase, said it was an exciting to see Taronga Zoo back as a Vivid Sydney precinct.
“Visitors to Sydney love to explore Taronga Zoo and it is very unique to experience the zoo after dark during Vivid Sydney. In 2018 Vivid Sydney welcomed 2.25 million attendees and delivered over $172 million in tourism spend to the NSW economy. As the largest festival of light, music and ideas in the Southern Hemisphere, Vivid Sydney and Taronga Zoo will impress again in 2019.”
Taronga Conservation Society Australia Director and CEO Cameron Kerr said that Vivid Sydney is an incredible opportunity to shine a light on wildlife conservation.
“Vivid Sydney at Taronga Zoo is a great night out for the whole family, and it’s also a moment to pause and consider wildlife conservation, and how we can all become a shining light for the wild,” said Mr Kerr.
Vivid Sydney at Taronga Zoo is a ticketed precinct, with tickets on sale now. Vivid Sydney at Taronga Zoo is open from Friday 24 May to Saturday 15 June 2019, Wednesday to Sunday evenings with two ticketed entry times at 5.30pm and 7.30pm. For more information visit: taronga.org.au/vivid.
Taronga is for the wild and as a not-for-profit organisation; Taronga has an absolute commitment to the conservation of wildlife and to securing a shared future for wildlife and people. All ticket proceeds go directly back to Taronga Zoo’s work in conservation and wildlife care.
- Lights for the Wild 2019, Vivid Sydney at Taronga Zoo backed by American Express opens from Friday 24 May to Saturday 15 June 2019, Wednesday to Sunday evenings.
- Tickets are now on sale, and for more information visit: taronga.org.au/vivid.
- The two ticketed entry times are 5.30pm and 7.30pm, with last entry at 8:30pm.
- Adults are $26.95, Children are $19.95.
- Taronga Zoo Sydney is accessible via ferry and bus, with additional services scheduled during Vivid Sydney. Limited parking is available.
- Taronga Conservation Society Australia is a non-profit wildlife conservation organisation, with all proceeds directly supporting our vital work in wildlife conservation in Australia and worldwide.
- Thanks to American Express the Sky Safari will operate each evening at Vivid Sydney at Taronga Zoo. There is a limited number of American Express Sky Pass tickets available each night and guests will need to get in early and book tickets now. Please note that guests do not have to be an American Express Card Member to purchase these special tickets – just be quick!