On this Depth Study day, students will engage with Taronga’s scientists and experts to deepen their understanding of risks threatening wildlife populations and conservation efforts that are trying to protect them.
Biodiversity is not a luxury – it is a necessity. Global trends indicate wildlife population numbers are decreasing dramatically due to natural and human influences. As a conservation society fighting for the survival of wildlife around the world, Taronga is perfectly placed to engage students with depth studies on such topics.
Students will design initiatives that empower people to take action to reduce threats to wildlife and ecosystems.
This full day program is available at both Taronga Zoo Sydney and Taronga Western Plains Zoo Dubbo. See below for further information.
This excursion will contribute five hours to a depth study and can be complimented by pre and post Zoo visit activities.
At the Zoo
This full day, five hour program includes:
- Presentations and activities delivered by working scientists, keepers and teachers at the Zoo about human impacts (e.g. habitat loss, marine pollution, introduced species) and efforts to increase population numbers
- Data analysis from authentic research and conservation projects
- Exposure to technologies used in conservation science
- Up-close animal encounters
Knowledge and Understanding:
- BIO11-10 describes biological diversity by explaining the relationships between a range of organisms in terms of specialisation for selected habitats and evolution of species
- BIO11-11 analyses ecosystem dynamics and the interrelationships of organisms within the ecosystem
- EES11-11 describes human impact on the Earth in relation to hydrological processes, geological processes and biological changes
- BIO11-1 / EES11-1 Questioning and predicting
- BIO11-7 / EES11-7 Communicating
- BIO11-5 / EES11-5 Analysing data and information
- BIO11-6 / EES11-6 Problem solving
Wildlife at Risk is a Depth Study available to Year 11 students.
The program can be booked online and is subject to limited availability.