This 10 week unit uses a project based learning approach which enables students to explore the real world challenge of conserving endangered species. Students will be empowered to take action within their communities, which significantly contributes to the conservation of Taronga Zoo’s legacy species from Australia and Sumatra.
This Unit of Work is FREE and available for all teachers to download and deliver in their classroom. The Taronga Zoo Sydney excursion component can be modified and replaced with another Digital Education program, such as a LegacyLIVE event, or an Ask an Expert Video Conference. Please refer to the Digital Programs webpage for event schedules and registration details.
Geography, 1.5 hrs per week, English, 2 of 6 hrs per week, Visual Arts, 1 hr per fortnight
How can endangered species be saved?
To advocate for a threatened species and to take action to help protect its future.
Written and endorsed by Department of Education curriculum specialists, the 'Schools for the Wild - Taronga's Legacy Species' unit comes with the following resources: Community conservation campaigning at your school.
- Resource for introductory lesson
- Fact file for each Legacy Species
- Support materials to use Google My Maps
- GE3-1 Describes the diverse features and characteristics of places and environments
- GE3-2 Explains interactions and connections between people, places and environments
- GE3-4 Acquires, processes and communicates geographical information using geographical tools for inquiry
- EN3-2A composes, edits and presents well-structured and coherent texts
- EN3-3A uses an integrated range of skills, strategies and knowledge to read, view and comprehend a wide range of texts in different media and technologies
- EN3-5B discusses how language is used to achieve a widening range of purposes for a widening range of audiences and contexts
- VAS3.2 Makes artworks for different audiences assembling materials in a variety of ways
- VAS3.4 Communicates about the ways in which subject matter is represented in artworks