After careful deliberation and with consideration to the current situation regarding COVID-19, we have had to come to the decision to postpone all face-to-face school education programs.
We apologise for any inconvenience and disappointment this may cause. However the safety and well-being of our guests, staff, and animals is always our highest priority. Please be assured Taronga is continuing to closely monitor the situation and we will keep you informed as to when normal bookings will resume again.
Taronga Zoo Sydney offers school work experience opportunities for students in years 10 – 12 who are interested in pursuing a career in zoo keeping, animal care, tourism or zoo horticulture.
Applications for 2020 are now closed. Applications for 2021 will open in Term 4, 2020.
If you or your child are interested in applying, speak to your school careers adviser who will liaise with Taronga on your behalf.
Work experience undertaken at Taronga Zoo Sydney allows students to:
- Observe a variety of work being done in the fields of zoo keeping, animal care, zoo horticulture or guest services and education
- Undertake supervised work appropriate to the student’s skill level
- Ask questions about a zoo workplace
- Gain skills related to being at work at the zoo
- Investigate training and employment opportunities with Taronga
Students will be exposed to a wide range of duties from the very interesting to the very routine, and may include:
- Cleaning (anything from windows to animal poo!)
- Preparing and distributing food for the animals
- Observing and recording animal behavioural information
- Assisting with keeper talks
- General administrative duties
Places in Taronga’s work experience program are very competitive.
Meet a Keeper
If Work Experience is fully booked, you may wish to attend Meet a Keeper. This is a one-day program for school students aged 14 years and over who have expressed a keen interest in pursuing a career at the Zoo. Meet Keepers, hear about their career pathways and learn about the variety of pathways to working in a zoo. Find out more.