Taronga Privacy Statement
The Taronga Conservation Society Australia (collectively referred to as ’we’, ‘us’ and ’Taronga’) is subject to the Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act, 1988 (NSW) which regulates the collection, storage, quality, use and disclosure of personal information by NSW Government agencies. Taronga’s Privacy Management Plan defines personal information and provides details about the privacy principles that Taronga follows when dealing with personal information. This Privacy Statement provides an overview of our practices in relation to personal information you provide to us or is provided to us by a third party.
2. Collection of personal information
The type of personal information that we collect from you will depend on the circumstances of collection and on the type of any service you request from us.
Information collected from web browsing
When you view this website or, tarongafoundation.com.au, roarandsnore.com.au, zoofari.com.au or other online sites operated by Taronga and its contractors, we collect the following information:
- your IP (internet protocol) address or host name eg. 22.214.171.124 or xxx.yyy.com.au
- the date and time you visited the website
- the pages or documents you attempted to view or download, and whether those pages or documents were displayed
- the web browser and operating system you are using
- the previous site you visited, if you reached our website by clicking on a link
- whether you have previously visited our website (only if you accept cookies – see below for more information about cookies).
- No attempts are made to identify anyone browsing our site. The data is captured so that we can accurately evaluate the quality of the content on the website and make continuous improvements.
The only time our website is able to identify you is if you have signed in as a registered user and agreed to provide your details. In this case, our website maintains a register of your user details in order to make your return visits to the site (and access to information relevant to your association with us) easier for you.
Information collected from online forms and services
When you submit a form on this website, or provide information as part of using an online service, we collect information from the activity. This information may include personal and organisational details such as your full name, date of birth, phone number, business name and ACN or ABN details, email address and street address. Examples of online forms and services include:
- purchasing a ticket or Zoo Friends membership
- making a booking
- making a donation or sponsoring an animal
- registering your details for a survey, competition, petition or any other purpose
- accepting or declining an event invitation
- Clicking on the 'submit' button on the form acts as your consent for Taronga to collect the information you have provided.
Additional information about our collection and use of personal information about Zoo Friends is below.
Taronga offers subscription services on this website. These services are offered on an ‘opt in’ basis. You can opt out at any time by using the unsubscribe button at the foot of each email you receive or contacting us via email@example.com and we will promptly process your request.
When you subscribe to a newsletter, news alert service from Taronga we will use your personal information in order to provide the content to you. We may also use your personal information to tell you about associated services, public information campaigns or web content we think you might be interested in, but only if you have indicated that you are happy to receive this information.
Information collected from email
If you send us an email, we will record your email address for the purpose of responding to you.
Other methods of collection
Taronga may also collect personal information from you when you deal with us:
- by telephone
- correspondence (letter, fax)
- in person
- As well as collecting personal information directly from you, there may be occasions when we collect information about you from a third party. For example, from a person or organisation who are making a donation, purchase or booking on your behalf.
We collect personal information that is reasonably necessary for our organisational functions.
3. Use of personal information
Website and cookies
Information collected from web browsing is used to identify patterns of usage of the website. This will help us to improve our website and the electronic services offered on it.
The Taronga website uses "cookies" to improve the user experience for our guests online. A cookie is a small data file that contains information about your visit to our website. The typical purpose of cookies is to help websites remember particular actions you may have done in the past. For example, cookies may track when you have logged into a site, visited certain pages or clicked certain buttons.
- remember when you have logged into our website
- remember your user preferences, searches and favourites
- track the success of our marketing campaigns
- improve our service to website visitors
- target relevant advertisements to you via third party ad networks, social media and other online advertising platforms
- enable social media sharing
Despite this, if you do wish to disable or remove cookies, please see the “Help” section of your browser or mobile device. Each browser or device handles the management of cookies differently, so you will need to refer to your appropriate “Help” documentation. However, as mentioned, cookies are essential for certain features of our website to work properly.
Taronga may use your personal information to:
- process your purchase, booking, donation and other transactions
- send tax receipts
- facilitate your participation in Taronga sponsorship and membership programs
- conduct marketing activities and to conduct market research
- respond to customer enquiries or complaints
- raise funds for conservation programs undertaken and supported by the Taronga
- Some of the personal information we collect is essential for us to be able to accurately identify who is using the products and services and what their interests are in order to improve customer service through research, marketing, product development and planning.
Information collected from forms, newsletters and email will only be used for the purpose for which you have provided it. We will not use it for any other purpose unless with your consent or in other circumstances where such use is permitted under the Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998.
4. Zoo Friends membership program
Additional information is collected by us when you join the Zoo Friends membership program. This includes information such as your name and date of birth and the name and date of birth of any additional members, home address, other addresses, email address, telephone numbers, fax number, credit card details as well as any special interests and preferences.
Taronga also keeps a record of Zoo Friends’ use of membership services and benefits. This information includes date and time of visit, purchases, events attended and benefits redeemed. The collection of this information assists Taronga to monitor the use of, and improve, the Zoo Friends membership program and benefits.
Information on our Zoo Friends databases is used for additional purposes which members consent to as part of the terms and conditions of membership. This includes Taronga marketing its products and services or the products and services of its partners. Other purposes include improving its customer service by means of research, product development and planning.
Some of the information is deemed mandatory for participation in the Zoo Friends membership program. Members are advised that if all or any of the non-mandatory information is not provided, the services provided by Taronga may be affected.
Zoo Friends members can update their profile information at any time by contacting the Zoo Friends membership office on (02) 9968 2822.
5. Disclosure and sharing of personal information
Taronga may at times disclose your personal information to a third party, to whom we contract out certain services. For example, we engaged third party suppliers to:
- provide email and mail handling services;provide electronic funds transfer services, credit card account processing and related services
- conduct market research
- provide catering services
- provide information technology services such as data storage and processing, software, system development and maintenance
- In these situations Taronga prohibits the third party contractor from using your personal information except for the specific purpose for which we supply it.
Under no circumstances will Taronga sell or receive payment for licensing or disclosing your personal information. However Taronga will share information with third parties if:
- we need to share personal information in order to provide the product or service requested
- we are legally obliged to do so; or
- we are otherwise required or permitted under the Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998.
Under the Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998 you have the right to access and change personal information Taronga holds about you, such as your address and phone number(s).
We are committed to ensuring that the information we hold is accurate, complete and up to date, so we encourage you to advise us if the information you have given us has changed. If you believe our information is inaccurate, please contact us and we will correct the information.
We will retain the information you have provided for a period that is appropriate for the purpose for which it was provided. Your information will be archived and disposed of in accordance with Taronga policies, legislative requirements and guidelines based on the NSW State Records Act 1998.
We take reasonable steps to protect information during transfer and storage. Physical measures, such as building and equipment security, are used in conjunction with digital technology, such as data encryption and firewalls, to minimise unauthorised access to information.
9. Access and alteration to personal information
Taronga facilitates individuals to access their personal information in the following manner:
- the request must be in writing;
- we will endeavour to respond in writing to requests for access within twenty eight (28) days of the receipt of the request; and
- Taronga may impose a charge on providing access to the personal information depending on the nature of the request.
- Contact details are set out below.
If you wish to alter personal information held by Taronga, you should advise us in writing of the required changes. Taronga will endeavour to make the changes requested within twenty eight (28) days of the receipt of the changes at the offices of Taronga, provided that we are satisfied that the changes are accurate, complete and up to date. Taronga will not confirm the changes are made unless specifically requested to do so.
Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009
The Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009 (GIPA Act) confers on the public a right to access information held by a government agency, including electronic information like transactions through the web. If information is sought by a third party under the GIPA Act that affects your research, business, commercial, professional or financial interests or your personal information, we will seek your views if you are likely to have concerns about the disclosure of the information before making any decision about releasing the information. For more information about the GIPA Act see the Taronga Information Guide.
10. Opting out of marketing, promotions or related activities
You can change the type and frequency of information you receive from us by calling 1300 369 116. If you do not wish to receive any more emails from Taronga, you can opt-out by clicking the unsubscribe button in our emails or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
11. Changes to this Privacy Statement
The Taronga Privacy Statement may change from time to time due to legal or business requirements. Any changes to this Privacy Statement will be updated on taronga.org.au.
This statement was last updated in September 2017.
If you consider that Taronga has breached our obligations with respect to your personal information, please provide details of the circumstances and your concerns in writing to Taronga. Taronga will endeavour to respond to you within twenty eight (28) days of receipt. Contact details are below.
13. Contact Details
If you require further information about Taronga's Privacy Management Plan or wish to provide comments, please contact:
Contact: Taronga Conservation Society Australia, PO Box 20, Mosman, NSW 2088
Phone: +61 (0)2 9969 2777