Taronga Zoo is a unique organisation and plays an important role in global wildlife conservation programs. It is dependent on a strong business model to succeed and achieve set objectives, while meeting the needs of a diverse range of stakeholders.
In this workshop, students investigate the main elements involved in the development and implementation of Taronga’s successful marketing strategies and use the Zoo as a business case study.
They will discover the strategies employed to ensure our goals are met through marketing, operations and financial efficiency, while gaining a truly unique insight into the workings of a fascinating organisation.
This workshop can be adapted for the Preliminary or HSC syllabus.
This workshop will be delivered in the Taronga Institute of Science & Learning Seminar Rooms at Taronga Zoo Sydney and is also available at Taronga Western Plains Zoo Dubbo. See below for further information.
Review the Taronga website to discover valuable information about the organisation such as s history of Taronga, activities and events, promotions and pricing structures. Review one promotional strategy Taronga has implemented recently. Collect examples of promotional material and discuss with reference to the target market, promoted product, placement and effectiveness.
At the Zoo
|Taronga Zoo Sydney||Taronga Western Plains Zoo Dubbo|
Evaluate the Taronga Zoo Sydney entry precinct. Identify Zoo products or experiences promoted in this space and choose one to examine in detail. Take a tour of key commercial areas within this space.
|Take a tour of key commercial areas of the Zoo including Retail, Functions, Food and Beverage and the accommodation facilities at Zoofari Lodge and Billabong Camp. Students will undertake visitor tracking activities and discuss the nature of the economic activities available at Taronga Western Plains Zoo Dubbo.|
- H1 critically analyses the role of business in Australia and globally
- H2 evaluates management strategies in response to changes in internal and external influences
- H5 explains management strategies and their impact on businesses
- H6 evaluates the effectiveness of management in the performance of businesses
- H7 plans and conducts investigations into contemporary business issues
- H8 organises and evaluates information for actual and hypothetical business situations
- H9 communicates business information, issues and concepts in appropriate formats