About the program
Taronga’s Guest Experience Volunteers have a varied role; from handing out maps to interpreting our magnificent animals, educating visitors on how they can contribute to Taronga’s conservation efforts and helping them find their favourite animals.
Our Guest Experience volunteers make sure our guests have to best day possible and leave feeling like they can really make a difference ‘for the wild’!
Our Guest Experience Volunteers are assigned to a particular specialty area such as Australian animals, Sumatran animals or Primates.
Some of the tasks you can expect to perform as a Guest Experience Volunteer are as follows:
- Providing information: on locations, talks, animal encounters and daily events
- Wayfinding: helping guests plan their day, directing them to animals, food outlets and even toilets
- Crowd management: assisting Taronga staff on queues and at keeper talks & presentations
- Interpreting animal behaviour and exhibits: answering guests questions about our amazing animals, providing information on them, their native habitats and their plights in the wild
- Transformational behaviour change: our Guests Experience Volunteers are essential to helping our visitors understand the actions they can take and the changes they can make in their lives to help secure a shared future for wildlife and people
- Spot guiding and tours: participation in our formal tours and spur of the moment interpretation of our animals and their exhibits and going the extra mile to make sure guests have the most amazing experience possible
- Special events: our volunteers may be invited to participate in our tours and take part in special events such as EID (Eid al-fitr), Access Taronga (in partnership with Autism Spectrum Australia), Vivid Sydney Festival, Twilight Festival, Dreamnight and more