There is always wildlife around us, even at home. With the many healing properties nature has to offer, we are challenging students to a photo competition to capture the natural beauty around their homes.
The Wild Snaps photo competition has now reopened! In April 2020, we ran Round 1, and students can now continue to enter the competition with fortnightly changing themes, proudly supported by QBE Insurance.
Entry details and themes
Simply take a photo(s) with a mobile phone, camera or other photo device of something wild around your home based around each fortnightly theme!
- Make sure none of your images contain any people - only wildlife and nature
- NOT edit or manipulate your photos (e.g. via Photoshop)
- Submit your entry only via the online form. No entries will be accepted via email or any other method
- Provide a title and brief description of your photo(s) upon submission (a maximum of 5 photos per student can be submitted)
- Name your photo(s) something that makes it clear it is yours and which school are attend - e.g. 'First Name Surname - School Name - Taronga Wild Snaps Photo 1 of 5'
- Only submit photos within the theme while the dates of each theme are open. E.g. photos for 'Feathery Friends' will no longer be picked as winners after Friday 22 May 2020, and so on
Amongst the treetops, hiding between branches, our native feathered friends can be found anywhere, all you have to do is look up! Share your best photo(s) of the birds you find around your home.
This theme of the competition has now closed.
Winners announced: Monday 25 May
Insects, Bugs and other Creepy Crawlies are all around us. Take a closer look in and around your home, how many critters can you find? Share your best photo(s) of all things Creeping Crawling in unusual places.
Competition open: Monday 25 May at 9am - Friday 5 June at 5pm
Winners announced: Monday 8 June
|To be announced|
Competition open: Monday 8 June at 9am - Friday 19 June at 5pm
Winners announced: Monday 22 June
|To be announced|
Competition open: Monday 22 June at 9am - Friday 3 July at 5pm
Winners announced: Monday 6 July
Title: Spiny Leaf Insect
Description: This stick insect was found in a gum tree eating leaves in my garden.
NOTE: your safety, well-being and health is our top priority. If you cannot safely venture into the outdoors, we ask that you please respect current self-isolation guidelines. You would be surprised how much you can discover from some in-home exploring. There is so much to see from a balcony or even lurking around the house!
Each fortnight's theme will have two winners. One from each category:
- Category one: Early Stage 1 - Stage 3 (Kindergarten to Year 6)
- Category two: Stage 4 - Stage 6 (Year 7 to Year 12)
Each fortnightly winner's winning photos will be shared on Taronga Education's Facebook page. Plus, each winner will receive a family pass to visit Taronga Zoo Sydney or Taronga Western Plains Zoo Dubbo*.
*Only valid from when Taronga Zoo reopens to the public for 12 months after reopening date (yet to be announced).
Follow the Taronga Education Facebook and watch as the winners are announced!
Round 1 winners
Congratulations to the major prize winners from Round 1 of the Wild Snaps photo competition which took place in April 2020.