What to bring
We suggest that guests bring along some of the following items to help make their day more manageable.
- A bracelet or name tag with contact details and anything else we should know if they become separated from your group
- Ear plugs or headphones. Areas of the Zoo can become crowded and noisy
- A favourite device or activity. Bring their tablet, video game, book, or anything else you think might distract them and keep them occupied during any periods of waiting. Please note that some items are restricted from entry to the Zoo. Please see point 5 of our Terms and Conditions of Entry
- Reinforcers for good behaviour. The average visit to the Zoo is 3 hours, so an item to keep them entertained can be helpful. The sights, sounds, smells and movements through the Zoo might become overwhelming, so a sensory toy could be useful
Below are some of the services you can expect to be available for you on your visit to Taronga Zoo Sydney:
- Online ticket sales and Zoo Friends Annual Memberships: Avoid waiting in the ticket sales queue and purchase your tickets online or consider a membership that offers 365 days of fun
- Social Story: Taronga has worked with Autism Spectrum Australia to develop a social story. Social stories are short descriptions of real life situations that help children with autism to understand what they might expect from a visit to the Zoo.
- Tranquil Zones: We have some beautiful picnic venues throughout the Zoo that can provide a tranquil zone for you to relax. Please ask our team for the nearest quite zone or see our accessibility map
- Accessible toilets: We have special access toilets throughout the Zoo for your convenience. These are marked on the Zoo map or please ask our team for directions
- Stroller and wheelchair hire: If required, we have strollers and wheelchairs available for hire from our Top Entrance retail store.
We understand that our guests have varying needs and are more than happy to help accommodate special requests as best we can. Please speak to a member of the Taronga Zoo team if you require any additional assistance.
Access Taronga days
On select days throughout the year, Taronga welcomes guests with autism and their family or friends to enjoy early entry to our Zoos. Access Taronga days like this are a great opportunity for you to enjoy the peace and quiet of the Zoo before it opens to the general public.
On Access Taronga days, Taronga Zoo Sydney will open 1.5 hours early (8am) to provide exclusive access to the Sky Safari Cable Car, extra animal meet and greets and first access to the Zoo's many exhibits.
To beat the crowds and enjoy a morning at the Zoo in a safe environment, register your interest to hear about our next Access Taronga day.
Registrations for the next Access Taronga day will open soon.